Home   Forum   Help Media Centre Search Calendar Shop Gallery Login Register   *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2017, 01:28:03

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
by
[October 20, 2017, 03:12:19]

by
[September 24, 2017, 19:07:49]

[September 02, 2017, 05:11:47]

[July 07, 2017, 13:30:03]

[July 07, 2017, 13:24:22]
Twitter
Permissions

Last 10 Shouts:
August 27, 2017, 23:05:11
Cya! I'm out!
August 27, 2017, 23:04:56
I officially never existed and will never exist in lovely's history again
August 27, 2017, 23:04:26
He has always been and will always be until his retreat from power the successor to king Rasputin I.
August 27, 2017, 23:03:35
By Rasputin I meant this bravely  charismatic  Mr.Cog we all know.
August 27, 2017, 23:01:48
I thereby give all absolute powers to king Rasputin I and declare my non existence in lovely's history.
August 27, 2017, 23:01:48
I thereby give all absolute powers to king Rasputin I and declare my non existence in lovely's history.
August 27, 2017, 23:00:59
I surrender and Abdicate from my position as an unrecognized and imposter king to the throne.
July 30, 2017, 18:36:43
DEFINITIVE NEW NAME CITIZENS!!!!
THE IMPERIAL KINGDOM OF THE FREE LOVELY LOVELAND!!! SHORTENED AS LOVELYLAND!!!
July 20, 2017, 18:51:10
(Freelove just didn't feel right.)
July 20, 2017, 18:50:37
(yeah new name...)
Members
Total Members: 568
Latest: gaga
Stats
Total Posts: 244592
Total Topics: 5053
Online Today: 16
Online Ever: 137
(July 20, 2014, 20:19:05)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123
  Print  
Author Topic: What was the last film you saw?  (Read 144998 times)
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: May 23, 2012, 11:32:35 »

Ba dum tisch.

Podcast is here  omg blush ohmy smug http://thefailedcritic.wordpress.com/category/podcast/

It's split into 3 parts:

Intro & The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly 00:00 24:30 (basically where the reviewers choose 2 films they've watched in the last week that are good, bad or "ugly")
Triple Bill: films of the Seventies 24:30 1:01:25 (each week there's a themed "triple bill" where the reviewers choose 3 films that meet that criteria)
The Dictator (spoiler-free review) 1:01:25 1:18:13 (review of a film released recently without spoilers)
Spoiler Alert: The Dictator 1:18:13 1:34:18 (review of that film with spoilers)

I have a dream! And so could you. Just eat loads of cheese before you go to bed. It's easy.
He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: May 26, 2012, 14:07:05 »

I last watched Haywire, that is the dullest thriller I've seen in a long time. Steven Soderbergh can go right up his own arse sometimes. It is artfully done and some of the shots are really quite special though mostly I feel that the prettiness robbed the energy from the film especially chase sequences. It seemed cinematic and thus removed from reality when it should've seemed frantic and been kicking me in the balls.

Also the fighting seemed out of place from just how sedate the rest of the film was. Not in a Driver sort of why where the intense graphic action ramped up the intensity but in a way where it seems disconnected from the rest of the film.

Mostly I'm upset how stupid it is and the pathetic attempt to pave over the fact that no one really came up with a conclusion to the story or even a proper reason for it. Playing on the "private contractors paid to do Black Ops" vibe they could've gone to places which were more politically/socially telling giving it a bit of bite and maybe been a bit more thought provoking. It seemed a waste of what could've potentially been a good film if the writing had been tighter and the vision for the direction been firmer (by which I mean that if you want to make a smart, clever, stylish, artsy thriller/action movie then you're going to have to work harder to redefine the beats of the thriller/action movie rather than just do a run of the mill film in as pretentious a way as possible)

Forever A Shorty
Hermaphrodite
King
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: May 29, 2012, 11:14:31 »

Surrogates - never heard of it before.  was ok, nothing special, but not completely terrible.
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: May 30, 2012, 00:44:11 »

Rewatched Godfather. S'alright, init.

Also, latest episode of the podcast I'm a part of is out. The Raid is reviewed and stuff: http://thefailedcritic.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/the-failed-critic-podcast-episode-6-the-raid/

I have a dream! And so could you. Just eat loads of cheese before you go to bed. It's easy.
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: June 03, 2012, 08:51:35 »

Prometheus is really good. Getting mixed reviews atm but is better than people are giving it credit for. It looks fantastic, it's got an interesting plot and theme (even if it is full of holes) and has some great performances. It's not Alien, you shouldn't go into it expecting Alien either, it's more like Blade Runner than Alien, more of a sci-fi than horror, but I liked it. Solid 8/10  nod upsmiley I fully expect Schaf to hate it.

He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: June 03, 2012, 11:00:30 »

from what I've heard I should wait for the directors cut that is an hour longer to turn up if it is to be enjoyable.

I'm thinking of seeing it this week, I intend to go to Bristol to visit a relative in hospital Tuesday or Wednesday so may take advantage of being abroad to go to a cinema. It is either that, MiB3 or Moonrise kingdom, depends on my mood, I fear for Prometheus Scott is damned inconsistent with his movies, various cuts of Blade Runner are just hideous messes and there has been so much pre release stuff that I'm not sure if I'm even that into the concept familiarity breeding disinterest and what not.

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: June 06, 2012, 03:38:40 »

I watched Alien Resurrection at the weekend, now that is a confused mess of a film.

Have you seen Prometheus yet? Or did you decide not to? Or are you seeing it today?

Anubis
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2427 on: June 09, 2012, 10:58:52 »

Recently I've seen:

Snow White and the Huntsman: It was okay, has some promise but didn't really follow through. Charlize Theron was a good evil queen. Kristen Stewart was a rubbish Snow White, and Thor's Huntsman was okay, but his accent was all over the place, taking us on a tour of Scotland and Ireland via Australia from scene to scene. Can't really recommend it.

Prometheus. It was okay. I think I'd hyped myself up that it would be really amazing so I was a bit disappointed. It was very pretty, and very well made. But I found the story lacking and aside from David the characters weren't very well developed. There were a lot of plot holes and characters being stupid. The clumsy introduction of the surgery machine really stood out, it was like the director/write wanted everything to stop and said 'look at this! pay attention! It might be useful later!  Wink Wink Wink Wink

It didn't really seem to know what it wanted to be, there was no tension, the horror didn't really get going, but the dramatic stuff didn't really either. The two science noobs made no sense, completely changing character halfway through  confused

The acting was very good, I wish Theron and Elba had been given a bit more to do.

It was a good film, (I think Scott just managed to hold it together), but not a great one.

Men In Black 3: Much better than I was expecting (much better than MIB 2). Opposite of Prometheus really in that I went in with very very low expectations so was pleasantly surprised it wasn't completely awful. The villain needed a bit more work I think. It did everything a good sequel should, developed the ideas from earlier films and took the concept into new areas. It was nothing specail but fine as an evenin'g's entertainment.

Virtuosity: A terrible mess starting Denzel Washington and Russell Crow about a virtually created bad guy made up of the personalities of hundreds of serial killers gets out in the real world in an android with nanoregeneration powers. It could have been fun but it was nonsense.

But I liked the big ideas and the connections to Alien were nicely handled, not too much, but enough to give background to the Alien movies, and not so much it overwhelmed the rest of the film.
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: June 10, 2012, 02:56:14 »

upsmiley Prometheus is getting a lot of stick but it's still an enjoyable film. The Directors cut, which Scott has already said will be released at some point, will probably wrap up the loose ends in the story and tighten everything up generally, but I didn't think the plot holes got in the way too much.

He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: June 16, 2012, 03:06:44 »

of course if the directors cut is so much better why didn't they go for that to begin with?

I watched the Muppets finally, that was an amusing film, I loved it.

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: June 18, 2012, 14:02:19 »

Well I'm sure if it was up to just Ridley they would've.

We (the Failed Critics podcast thingymabob) had the choice of reviewing the Muppets, J Edgar, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, or Man On a Ledge the other week as a "new dvd release". Went for J Edgar and I don't regret it. Muppets  indifferent

He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: June 19, 2012, 05:13:03 »

The fourth wall was nothing to that movie and it was splendid.

Anubis
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2432 on: June 22, 2012, 05:30:44 »

On the plane I watched Safe House and Chronicle.

A bit hard to tell because of the terrible picture/sound quality but they were both fairly good.Safe House was fairly generic and didn't have any huge big action scenes. Chronicle was good but I think it's low budget showed a lot in a few areas. I'll definitely watch them again at some point on a tv.

The Muppets is easily going to be in the top ten, probably in the top five movies this year
Mr Cog
Insane Dictator
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: June 22, 2012, 10:39:57 »

Das Booooooooooot!!!!!

Your friendly neighbourhood lunatic
Anubis
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2434 on: June 24, 2012, 12:31:49 »

Went to see Brave yesterday.

Was rather disappointed. It did successfully get a very Scottish feel to it but it was a very basic plot that wasn't what I was expecting, I seem to remember Pixar talking it up as a dark fairytale. It was a fairytale, but not very dark  dunno

It felt very short too, the hour and a half few by without really achieving much.

I wanted to like it, but sadly it didn't do it for me
Anubis
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2435 on: July 02, 2012, 20:04:06 »

Watched two movies yesterday. Both were watched outside

Despicable Me which was good, watched in the evenin'g partially while in a swimming pool then got out and watched the rest as was having dinner.

Avatar watched under the stars with all kinds of frogs and insects making noises around me. Was good to see the film again too, has certainly stood up to repeated watching
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: July 04, 2012, 14:03:46 »

Yeah Avatar is interesting to rewatch. It's certainly not as bad as it's made out to be. I mean, it's not brilliant, there's a lot wrong with it, but it's not horrendous.

Speaking of rewatching bad Sci fi films, we watched AvP today. Defo not as shite as I remember it being, but like all these crossovers it is 100% not in the Alien universe, definitely in the Predator universe only.

Anubis
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2437 on: July 07, 2012, 06:31:19 »

Went to see the Amazing Spiderman yesterday

It was pretty good  upsmiley
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: July 08, 2012, 09:38:37 »

Went to see the Amazing Spiderman yesterday

It was pretty good  upsmiley
Everything I'd read/heard/seen about it made me expect it to be shite, but I enjoyed it too upsmiley

Mr Cog
Insane Dictator
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: July 08, 2012, 12:07:04 »

Your friendly neighbourhood lunatic
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123
  Print  

Jump to: