Home   Forum   Help Media Centre Search Calendar Shop Gallery Login Register   *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 19, 2017, 01:16:46

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[Yesterday at 22:23:02]

[July 07, 2017, 13:48:54]

[July 07, 2017, 13:43:55]

[July 07, 2017, 13:30:03]

[July 07, 2017, 13:24:22]
Twitter
Permissions

Last 10 Shouts:
July 30, 2017, 18:36:43
DEFINITIVE NEW NAME CITIZENS!!!!
THE IMPERIAL KINGDOM OF THE FREE LOVELY LOVELAND!!! SHORTENED AS LOVELYLAND!!!
July 20, 2017, 18:51:10
(Freelove just didn't feel right.)
July 20, 2017, 18:50:37
(yeah new name...)
July 20, 2017, 18:50:18
HEIL LOVELAND!
July 20, 2017, 18:49:56
AS OF THE DENONYM IT SHALL BE LOVEDICS( NO BAD PUNS).
July 20, 2017, 18:48:59
THE CITIZEN WITH THE FUNNIEST/EPICEST/WTF-EST/POPULAREST( EXCUSE MY SO RUBBISH EXPRESSIONS) SHALL BE ELECTED GREAT COUNT, ALL BY LOVELIANS/FREELANDICS!!
July 20, 2017, 18:47:04
I THEREBY SUGGEST THE COUNT AND DE FACTO RULER OF LOVELY/FREELAND SHALL BE CHOSEN BY LOVELIANS/FREELANDICS !
July 20, 2017, 18:44:58
OUR CONSTITUTION! MOTIVATED BY OUR GOODWILLED AND FRIENDLY VALUES SHALL ALWAYS PROTECTS POPULAR POWER!!
July 20, 2017, 18:43:32
WITH ABSOLUTELY NO GOVERNMENTAL INFLUENCE ON IT!
July 20, 2017, 18:42:46
OUR EMPIRE IS TRULY MONARCHIC YET DEMOCRATIC AND FREE! OUR COUNT SHALL BE ELECTED BY POPULAR POLLS!
Members
Total Members: 563
Latest: Allonsy182
Stats
Total Posts: 244580
Total Topics: 5053
Online Today: 16
Online Ever: 137
(July 20, 2014, 20:19:05)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 15
Total: 15
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: To encourage the PHILOSOPHY part of this board...  (Read 11722 times)
Milky
Luc Meredith, Colon Explorer Extraordinaire
Twonk
National Treasure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 03:40:27 »

I'm always surprised when I read his stuff and biographies on him.

I don't get how they didn't figure out he was a homosexual.

pigsmiley Milky pigsmiley - Saying the things you have too much sense to say since November 2005

Sub in a Hat
Wrapped in Foil
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 06:52:45 »

Well, they did. Eventually.

Sort of Ernest Hemingway meets Boris Johnson.

"You should have asked for twelve inches of his finest sub of the day at the time, no point regretting not having some sublove now." Lady Reblet.

</img>

The superfluous image tag is staying. It is staying because I like it.
Zsu-Zsu
Frigging myself silly over Bo
Little Princess
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 07:17:16 »

The only ugly things in the world are man made things, so if things that are made by us are ugly then we are going to act in an ugly manner in response to it Smiley

Someone's been watching Stephen Fry on 'Room 101'....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 07:19:10 by Zsu-Zsu » Logged

I know I'm not perfect,
But I'm so damn close it scares me
Zsu-Zsu
Little Princess
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 07:18:42 »

I still don't accept that anyone could believe that such a butch, manly, sexist womaniser was batting for the other team.

He wasn't sexist!
Have you not read 'A Woman of No Importance'??

I know I'm not perfect,
Sub in a Hat
Wrapped in Foil
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 07:29:42 »

I still don't accept that anyone could believe that such a butch, manly, sexist womaniser was batting for the other team.

He wasn't sexist!
Have you not read 'A Woman of No Importance'??

Someone seems to be suffering irony-receptors-defficiency  Tongue

"You should have asked for twelve inches of his finest sub of the day at the time, no point regretting not having some sublove now." Lady Reblet.

</img>

Zsu-Zsu
Little Princess
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 07:39:12 »

*Sighs*

I know I'm not perfect,
Sub in a Hat
Wrapped in Foil
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 07:43:01 »

Sorry Zoe  hugsmiley

</img>

Zsu-Zsu
Little Princess
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 07:48:21 »

Smiley hug

I know I'm not perfect,
Sub in a Hat
Wrapped in Foil
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 07:54:25 »

beast

Any new philosophy for us?

</img>

Zsu-Zsu
Little Princess
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 08:00:42 »

There will be, when I haven't got a headache.

I know I'm not perfect,
Anubis
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 12:15:43 »

"I think therefore I am"

upsmiley or  downsmiley?
Sub in a Hat
Wrapped in Foil
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 12:20:22 »

A good soundbyte but not much a philosophy really.

</img>

Zsu-Zsu
Little Princess
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 12:41:15 »

You've clearly never studied it...

I think, generally, and considering all the stuff that Descartes reasoned before leading up to reaching the 'Cogito' as a conclusion (that even if some deceiving demon is making him think everything he is thinking, he cannot make him think and convince him that he does not exist, and therefore the only thing he can claim with any surety is that he exists purely because he is thinking), I would say  upsmiley
However, I have a massive problem with it in that it applies only to oneself. I can prove to myself that I exist, but I can't prove that anyone else does - they may all be being controlled by the deceiving demon; or they don't exist at all and I'm imagining them... a very lonely world if I'm the only one who I can prove exists...  confused

Also, and this criticism is very hard to demonstrate without an example which I have in a book but is too long to type out (if anyone's got it - The Pig That Wants To Be Eaten and 99 Other Thought Experiments by Julian Baggini, published by Granta Books, pages 184-5), it involves a long monologue in which a number of people (all supposed to be the same person) speak and demonstrate using the 'Cogito' that they all exist. But that they're the same person. It's utterly incoherent, until you discover that they're all actually talking sense, at least in terms of what Descartes was proving.
'Cogito ergo sum' proves that I exist; but it doesn't prove that I'm the same person from day to day, minute to minute. Yes, it proves that we exist, but does not tell us anything about who or what we are, and even whether we continue to exist as the same person over time.

Like I said, difficult to demonstrate without the example; if you ever see the book in a shop or library I'd recommend that you read it; it's good to just pick up, read a bit, think a bit and then put down again. Smiley

I know I'm not perfect,
Sub in a Hat
Wrapped in Foil
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2008, 12:50:29 »

Well yeah, I was talking about the quote and I wasn't aware that there was any reasoning behind it.

In all fairness, I think I get what he's talking about. On the other hand, I think we need a valid definition of non-existence and what it entails. After all, if I didn't think, would it mean I didn't exist.

And no, I haven't studied any philosophy except in my spare time. I'm hoping to take it next year but that all depends on how I did with my RS gcse.

</img>

Zsu-Zsu
Little Princess
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2008, 12:54:58 »

Well yeah, I was talking about the quote and I wasn't aware that there was any reasoning behind it.

In all fairness, I think I get what he's talking about. On the other hand, I think we need a valid definition of non-existence and what it entails. After all, if I didn't think, would it mean I didn't exist.

And no, I haven't studied any philosophy except in my spare time. I'm hoping to take it next year but that all depends on how I did with my RS gcse.

Ahh GCSE RS.... I remember it (not) well...

You should look up Descartes' Three Meditations; that'll give you the summary of how he got to where he got to. *has gone cross-eyed*

Descartes was a dude.     Descartes was a dude.     Descartes was a dude.

I know I'm not perfect,
Anubis
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2008, 13:03:07 »

I think Descartes makes an error. His project is supposedly to doubt all that can be doubted, no matter how far fetched. But you can doubt the cogito. You could for instance say that the evil demon is all that exists and I am merely a product of his thoughts, any thoughts I have are just his imagination. For instance a more advanced version of : In my head I can imagine a made up character saying, thinking, believing "I think therefore I am". That being the case I think Descartes is wrong to use "I think therefore I am as his starting point. Everything from that point on for me doesn't work, he even has to shoehorn in some added extras like God to try and bring sense to his concepts. His God proof baffled me a lot, "I think therefore I am. I think God therefore God"

"I think therefore I am" works better without the Descartes project, without all the evil demon business.

Descartes project itself, as far as I'm concerned, is flawed from the very start. It's interesting and fun to look at though.

You're spot on about it only proving 'my' existance. My feeling on that issue annoyed some philosophy lecturers but was quite popular among students: Who cares?
Basically even if that is fact does it matter? As long as you never ever ever ever find out (and by most forms of the idea you can't ever find out) what does it matter. This is your reality, and the only reality you'll ever know, even if it's not a real reality, all in your mind, an evil demon, a machine, what does it matter?

I like that minute to minute idea you put there, awesome little ideas like that make me happy.
Sub in a Hat
Wrapped in Foil
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2008, 13:11:08 »

This is your reality, and the only reality you'll ever know

Ever done salvia?

</img>

Citizen Kobler
hehehehe
National Treasure

Now in well-adjusted adult size.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2008, 13:11:46 »

SALIVA? EEEEEEEEWWWWW

Quote from: Overlord Forums
Our threads derail faster than a speeding monorail with no brakes, engineered by a rabid howler monkey on crack.

search keywords: god your mommas ugly
Zsu-Zsu
Little Princess
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2008, 13:14:19 »

he even has to shoehorn in some added extras like God to try and bring sense to his concepts. His God proof baffled me a lot, "I think therefore I am. I think God therefore God"

Haha, I tend to forget about that bit... I like to ignore the whole 'Using the God Card to solve all the problems with your philosophy' and focus on what comes before that. Playing the God Card is a total cop-out.

Like George Berkeley and his Idealism; "to be is to be perceived", he solves the very obvious flaws (put an apple in a drawer, go away, come back a week later and the apple has rotted - even though no-one was perceiving it) by saying "oh, well that's because God's always perceiving everything" - to me, that doesn't prove anything; infact if anything it disproves it - what's the point in trying to come up with a theory if you're then going to obliterate it by bringing God into it?!

I know I'm not perfect,
Sub in a Hat
Wrapped in Foil
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2008, 13:14:35 »

Ahh GCSE RS.... I remember it (not) well...

You should look up Descartes' Three Meditations; that'll give you the summary of how he got to where he got to. *has gone cross-eyed*

Descartes was a dude.     Descartes was a dude.     Descartes was a dude.
Same here, I've already forgotten what it was about and how I answered and it was only a few days ago.

Fair enough, I will. If it can do that for you, I'll check it out and try it myself.   Tongue

this is cool

</img>

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: