Home   Forum   Help Media Centre Search Calendar Shop Gallery Login Register   *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2017, 16:22:32

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[September 04, 2017, 13:40:57]

[September 04, 2017, 13:33:09]

[September 02, 2017, 05:11:47]

[July 07, 2017, 13:30:03]

[July 07, 2017, 13:24:22]
Twitter
Permissions

Last 10 Shouts:
August 27, 2017, 23:05:11
Cya! I'm out!
August 27, 2017, 23:04:56
I officially never existed and will never exist in lovely's history again
August 27, 2017, 23:04:26
He has always been and will always be until his retreat from power the successor to king Rasputin I.
August 27, 2017, 23:03:35
By Rasputin I meant this bravely  charismatic  Mr.Cog we all know.
August 27, 2017, 23:01:48
I thereby give all absolute powers to king Rasputin I and declare my non existence in lovely's history.
August 27, 2017, 23:01:48
I thereby give all absolute powers to king Rasputin I and declare my non existence in lovely's history.
August 27, 2017, 23:00:59
I surrender and Abdicate from my position as an unrecognized and imposter king to the throne.
July 30, 2017, 18:36:43
DEFINITIVE NEW NAME CITIZENS!!!!
THE IMPERIAL KINGDOM OF THE FREE LOVELY LOVELAND!!! SHORTENED AS LOVELYLAND!!!
July 20, 2017, 18:51:10
(Freelove just didn't feel right.)
July 20, 2017, 18:50:37
(yeah new name...)
Members
Total Members: 567
Latest: Heart Escen Famadico
Stats
Total Posts: 244587
Total Topics: 5053
Online Today: 18
Online Ever: 137
(July 20, 2014, 20:19:05)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Abortion  (Read 8175 times)
steka
Earth goddess
National Treasure

Earth goddess

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2008, 16:34:35 »

Matt and I have done the rounds with this topic many times over, so this is mostly just a thread for others to put their tuppence worth in, as we could do with some fresh arguments to add to the stale old ones we've been through a zillion times. Matt thinks that human life is inherently sacrosanct because man is made in God's image. As I don't believe in God, I didn't agree with this, so we agreed that we'd never agree.

The other reason for our disagreement was Matt's insistence that, if abortion is wrong for the reasons he'd already given, then it should ALWAYS be considered wrong. This makes him an absolute moralitist, which I am not, as I believe that, if there is ANY kind of moral code in the world, then it's certainly subjective, and can therefore not be considered absolute. Quite why Matt is an absolute moralitist when it comes to abortion yet a relative moralitist when it comes to war is beyond me.

But now I'm going to try arguing with Matt on his own terms. Even though I don't actually believe any of the following, for the sake of the argument, I'll say that man being made in God's image is a given, that the Bible is true and that there is an afterlife as is described in Christian doctrine.

Matt doesn't know whether babies who die before they reach the age of accountability go to heaven or not. Why wouldn't they go to heaven? If they were sent to either heaven or hell, depending on whether they'd have been saved had they lived to the age of accountability or not, then they would effectively be being held accountable for actions which they'd never take and beliefs which they'd never hold. This would make a mockery of the free will which we are supposed to have.

Since, by Matt's own admission, there is no Biblical basis for the Catholic's belief in purgatory of some kind of limbo for infants to go to, by process of elimination, babies must go to heaven. Logically, then, abortion would be the best course of action, as it would ensure that the unborn baby would be saved and go to heaven. Why, then, are Christians against abortion?
Taters343
...hell yeah a real potato!
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 16:38:39 »

Even without religion, I say abortion is the choice of the mother. IF the baby is going to be born into poverty, abortion is ok. If the baby will have a teenage mother, abortion is ok. If the mother is a rape victim, with the pregnancy as a result, abortion is ok.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
Zsu-Zsu
Frigging myself silly over Bo
Little Princess
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 18:42:24 »

As it happens, we touched on this last year in my Ethics class in Philosophy. So I'll whip my old textbook out so I can remember the names of the philosophers I know about on this topic. I don't know much about the religious basis of it (GCSE RS doesn't quite cover it as in-depth as I assume you guys go into things) so I'll throw something in when I think it's relevant; otherwise I'll try and shut up.

I'm absolutely pro-choice; I think that abortion should be the choice of the woman; and even if she's just been careless and got pregnant by accident then she should be allowed an abortion. Of course I don't think that women who just get pregnant from a one night stand, for example, are necessarily very clever in what they've done; (have they not heard of condoms?) but if the woman doesn't feel that she's in a position to have a child then I don't think an abortion should be disallowed to her.
In the case of rape victims and poverty then of course I believe that abortions should absolutely be allowed.

Anyway - that's my view on it; I'll get reading my old philosophy textbook to catch up on what I'm actually on about. Smiley

I know I'm not perfect,
But I'm so damn close it scares me
Anubis
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 18:43:52 »

I'm all for it.
Matt
National Treasure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 20:49:02 »

Steka has done a fairly good job at summarizing my stance.  I did caution her though that my anti abortion view ONLY has merit IF I believe that the "thing" formed when a human sperm cell and a human egg unite is in fact a human being, and as such a creature "made in the image of God."
I don't really think there is anything to "debate" if one is not a theist.
The "absolute moralist" sense is only that because humans are made in the image of God, then they have intrinsic value, without regard to their mental or physical abilities, as does any human who is born and lives for any length of time. Therefore, the same 'protection" I would hold for the fetus I would also hold for the Octogenarian, or Alzheimer's patient, or criminal on death row.  In other words I should be "pro-life" (rather than anti-abortion.)  The other matter that I raise AGAINST Pro-Life groups is when they argue that if the mother's life is in danger THEN abortion can be considered.  To me that is inconsistent with their "argument" that no one (in the case of regular abortions) has the right to "play God." yet they reverse that when they deem the mother's life to be in danger.
If I were not a believer, and thought that the human race is only the result of one cosmic accident and subsequent mutations, I would conclude that No life has any reason to exist and I would conclude that therefore that since I already exist as a sexual being I should do what I can to find selfish satisfaction and pleasure, do everything to break the cruel cycle of birth and subsequent suffering and in one generation, we could all come to an end.  Not to mention of course the widespread elimination of the infirm, or weak, and then finish off the rest of the population by topping. In that context abortion is a minor issue.
I also throw in the thought that I am also in favour of "pro choice" but the choice should be made before the couple choose to have sex that could produce a child.   

Why is there something instead of nothing?
Voxy
I like satin blonde people.
Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 21:57:27 »

then prepare to go long and hard and learn to like it, 'cos I'm catholic and I'm pro-choice. Put that in strict organized religion and be burned for witchcraftery. Tongue
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 00:23:10 »

I thought aborted babies didn't go to heaven cause they all had original sin...? Or something like that.

I think its alright. I dunno if I could do it but I don't think its ethically bad.

I have a dream! And so could you. Just eat loads of cheese before you go to bed. It's easy.
Tom Dates
National Treasure

Flat Earth Proponent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 01:28:36 »

There's enough people in the world already, if people want to kill their kid, good on them.

He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 01:33:49 »

In RE classes yonks ago I stated that abortion was OK up until the child was about 10 and obviously capable of looking after itself to an extent, this was mainly to upset some really sensitive girls that were in my class who thought it was horrid and were visibly horrified by said sentiment.

A fetus is a parasite, a baby can also be thought of as such, the world is over populated so from a "continuation of the human species" view point most babies are unnecessary, so I'm pro-choice as I always reckoned a baby born into a family where they wanted to abort it would have a high chance of a sucky life anyways.

(Please note I said Pro-Choice not Pro-Abortion, I'm not actively supporting abortion by any means)

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 01:37:16 »

In RE classes yonks ago, two of the girls in the class had already had abortions.

I have a dream! And so could you. Just eat loads of cheese before you go to bed. It's easy.
He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 01:40:04 »

I lived in a small town every girl who fell pregnant disappeared and was never seen of again, I only knew they fell pregnant because of the gossip I didn't really give a toss.

Tom Dates
National Treasure

Flat Earth Proponent

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 03:39:22 »

Ours stayed in school and had their babies mostly.

easy tiger
special needs
janitorial staff
National Treasure

uloveitwheniflexlikethat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 03:47:39 »

abortion should be compulsory for some

I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting.
CitizenLove
Rusty Sawmill
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 03:56:02 »

(Please note I said Pro-Choice not Pro-Abortion, I'm not actively supporting abortion by any means)

I'm Pro-Abortion. I carry around a coathanger at all times just in case I meet a pregnant woman.

Edit: why did I spell meet 'might'?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:06:42 by CitizenLove » Logged
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 03:57:23 »

laugh

Taters343
...hell yeah a real potato!
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 06:18:35 »

Abortion should not be made illegal no matter what your views are on the subject. If woman can't get abortions from doctors they ill resort to much more dangerous methods of killing the fetus, and these would harm not only the fetus, but also the mother.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 06:19:50 »

I think we should equip fetuses with weapons so they can at least try and defend themselves.

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 06:23:48 »

Not enough research is done into giving feti claws with which to grip onto the womb

He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 06:26:33 »

I want to give them the ability to burst from the womb like an alien and eat face should they be threatened, that way they have to kill them quickly in abotions or the fetus will kill everyone.

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 06:29:00 »

Eat Face from the A-Team?? How will the fetus know which one is Face?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: