Home   Forum   Help Media Centre Search Calendar Shop Gallery Login Register   *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2017, 01:21:12

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
by
[October 20, 2017, 03:12:19]

by
[September 24, 2017, 19:07:49]

[September 02, 2017, 05:11:47]

[July 07, 2017, 13:30:03]

[July 07, 2017, 13:24:22]
Twitter
Permissions

Last 10 Shouts:
August 27, 2017, 23:05:11
Cya! I'm out!
August 27, 2017, 23:04:56
I officially never existed and will never exist in lovely's history again
August 27, 2017, 23:04:26
He has always been and will always be until his retreat from power the successor to king Rasputin I.
August 27, 2017, 23:03:35
By Rasputin I meant this bravely  charismatic  Mr.Cog we all know.
August 27, 2017, 23:01:48
I thereby give all absolute powers to king Rasputin I and declare my non existence in lovely's history.
August 27, 2017, 23:01:48
I thereby give all absolute powers to king Rasputin I and declare my non existence in lovely's history.
August 27, 2017, 23:00:59
I surrender and Abdicate from my position as an unrecognized and imposter king to the throne.
July 30, 2017, 18:36:43
DEFINITIVE NEW NAME CITIZENS!!!!
THE IMPERIAL KINGDOM OF THE FREE LOVELY LOVELAND!!! SHORTENED AS LOVELYLAND!!!
July 20, 2017, 18:51:10
(Freelove just didn't feel right.)
July 20, 2017, 18:50:37
(yeah new name...)
Members
Total Members: 568
Latest: gaga
Stats
Total Posts: 244592
Total Topics: 5053
Online Today: 16
Online Ever: 137
(July 20, 2014, 20:19:05)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Best 3 gigs of your year  (Read 17833 times)
Piratejames
The Captain of the Dannation the II
Patriot

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 21, 2011, 15:42:47 »

You're still conforming to something!

LAST FM JIGGERYPOKERY

Captain of the Dannation II.

Other piratey related things.
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2011, 01:56:51 »

conforming but through unconventional non-conformity.

how do you like dem apples

I have a dream! And so could you. Just eat loads of cheese before you go to bed. It's easy.
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2011, 05:13:24 »

1. Richard Herring, The Glee Club, Oxford, 24/2/11
4/5
Started a little bit slowly, giving the impression it wasn't going to be as hilarious a night as I hoped, but very quickly made me feel like I'd judged him too quickly as after about 20 minutes in the gig was now loads better than how it started. Second half of the performance was even better and was a good gig all round. He even took a pop shot at West Hanney (or West Haney as he pronounced it). Yeah, fuck you West Haney for not being East Hanney, which is where I live. In the east, not the west. So, therefore I could laugh more heartily than anyone in the room at his joke about the place right next to where I live. shades Fucking West Hanney lolz.

2. Stephen K Amos, New Theatre, Oxford, 22/1/11
3.5/5
Impressed with how he brought the audience onside. Very good at riffing with the audience and wasn't ever tiring to watch. He's probably one of the best I've seen at engaging with the audience, actually. He had a decent enough routine, although I don't remember any big belly aching laughs, but he was pleasant enough to watch. Better than I was expecting by some distance. I was anticipating a long, boring gig but it wasn't.  upsmiley Worth the punt.

3. Sean Walshe, New Theatre, Oxford, 22/1/11
3/5
Was the support for Stephen K Amos, and did a decent enough job... He seemed to lose the audience a few times and didn't seem all that aware of it (or maybe he was and just didn't care, or maybe he did it on purpose like Stewart Lee says he does).

Next up: Ed Byrne in April.

I have a dream! And so could you. Just eat loads of cheese before you go to bed. It's easy.
easy tiger
special needs
janitorial staff
National Treasure

uloveitwheniflexlikethat

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2011, 18:31:31 »

Plan B at the Brighton centre.
The bloke gets 12-20yr olds to dance to northern soul and motown. Pretty good effort really. Kinda preferred his older stuff and his rapping skills to his singing.
Great night though, at least thats what todays hangover would suggest.
"I always stay too long"

I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting.
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2011, 01:30:22 »

4/5
Started a little bit slowly, giving the impression it wasn't going to be as hilarious a night as I hoped, but very quickly made me feel like I'd judged him too quickly as after about 20 minutes in the gig was now loads better than how it started. Second half of the performance was even better and was a good gig all round. He even took a pop shot at West Hanney (or West Haney as he pronounced it). Yeah, fuck you West Haney for not being East Hanney, which is where I live. In the east, not the west. So, therefore I could laugh more heartily than anyone in the room at his joke about the place right next to where I live. shades Fucking West Hanney lolz.

2. Ed Byrne, New Theatre, Oxford, 7/4/11
3.5/5
Started the show by coming on, doing a very short, very tame 5 or 10 minute routine and then introduced his support act who was on for about 30 minutes. Was a bit worried he wouldn't be all that great in the second half but actually he was pretty funny. Shame he was probably only on stage for about 50 minutes all night though. I think he was probably funnier than Stephen K Amos overall, so he kind of has to go above him on the list!

3. Stephen K Amos, New Theatre, Oxford, 22/1/11
3.5/5
Impressed with how he brought the audience onside. Very good at riffing with the audience and wasn't ever tiring to watch. He's probably one of the best I've seen at engaging with the audience, actually. He had a decent enough routine, although I don't remember any big belly aching laughs, but he was pleasant enough to watch. Better than I was expecting by some distance. I was anticipating a long, boring gig but it wasn't.  upsmiley Worth the punt.

Others I've seen:
Sean Walshe, 22/1/11 - Was the support for Stephen K Amos, and did a decent enough job... He seemed to lose the audience a few times and didn't seem all that aware of it (or maybe he was and just didn't care, or maybe he did it on purpose like Stewart Lee says he does).

Karl Spain, 7/4/11 - Only ever knew him by name, but he seemed to get pretty much half of Ed Byrne's set to himself. Quite popular in Ireland, apparently, but I'd never seen his stand up. He was alright, told a few jokes about his mates in Ireland and made fun of himself a lot... Laughed a few times but don't think I'd go and see him again if he was touring on his own...

Next up: Dylan Moran in May.

Piratejames
The Captain of the Dannation the II
Patriot

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2011, 17:07:06 »

1.My Chemical Romance, World Contamination Tour, Nottingham Trent Arena 19/2/2011

The first supports were a little known band named Lost Alone. Fairly decent pop rock I guess, not stand out but I enjoyed them a little. Definitely a good band to warm up for MCR though. Second supports were The Blackout. They were fucking atrocious. All they did was abuse the audience like total cunts. They said for us to boo if we weren't enjoying them, did so and pretty much were called all the names under the sun. Now I don't mind a bit of band - audience banter, but when it's that all the time, or being told that they were from WAYELLS all the FUCKING TIME they can fuck right off. After that travesty, MCR came on and for all intents and purposes set the place on fire. The moment "Look alive sunshine..." played through the arena, the place went fucking mental, I've never seen a crowd so fired up. I love smaller, club type gigs, but fuck me, MCR are definitely suited for an arena. It was definitely worth a 4 year wait to see them the second time. Rather than being a band who were trying to be over the top theatrical, like during the Black Parade and The Black Parade is Dead! tour, this literally was a group of guys doing what they loved best. The played a large cross section of music from their 4 albums, even putting a slower, more ballad type spin on Ghost of You. Definitely gonna go see these guys again if I get the chance!

2. Funeral For A Friend, Welcome Home Armageddon Tour, Coventry Kasbah, 6/4/11

First supports were Tiger Please. They weren't really my thing but if you like your softer, mellow rock then give them a listen. Decentish. Second supports were the more suited Rise To Remain. An amazing metalcore band, fronted by Bruce Dickinson's son, these guys tore it up and did a stand up job of getting the crowd ready. Would pay to see them headline somewhere, definitely! Funeral For A Friend were awesome, playing songs from all 5 of their albums, bouncing around the stage, almost slipping and maiming theirselves... Second time of seeing them at the Kasbah, infinitely better than the last time. Finishing with a brilliant version of my favourite song by them and pulling out some random old stunners too. Awesome gig, not quite as good as MCR, but still sweeeet.

LAST FM JIGGERYPOKERY

Captain of the Dannation II.

Other piratey related things.
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 05, 2011, 03:11:40 »

4/5

2. Ed Byrne, New Theatre, Oxford, 7/4/11
3.5/5
Started the show by coming on, doing a very short, very tame 5 or 10 minute routine and then introduced his support act who was on for about 30 minutes. Was a bit worried he wouldn't be all that great in the second half but actually he was pretty funny. Shame he was probably only on stage for about 50 minutes all night though. I think he was probably funnier than Stephen K Amos overall, so he kind of has to go above him on the list!

3. Stephen K Amos, New Theatre, Oxford, 22/1/11
3.5/5

Others I've seen:
Sean Walshe, 22/1/11 - Was the support for Stephen K Amos, and did a decent enough job... He seemed to lose the audience a few times and didn't seem all that aware of it (or maybe he was and just didn't care, or maybe he did it on purpose like Stewart Lee says he does).

Karl Spain, 7/4/11 - Only ever knew him by name, but he seemed to get pretty much half of Ed Byrne's set to himself. Quite popular in Ireland, apparently, but I'd never seen his stand up. He was alright, told a few jokes about his mates in Ireland and made fun of himself a lot... Laughed a few times but don't think I'd go and see him again if he was touring on his own...

Dylan Moran, 4/5/11 - Very disappointed  Sad Not even a patch on how good he was last year. Probably the first gig where I didn't laugh at all. Chuckled occasionally but no proper laughs. Even the material he re-used from the last time I saw him didn't have the same kind of, er, zing (?) to it (not sure if I  can get away with using the word zing in that context, but I'm gonna anyway. Screw you).

Next up: Jason Manford, I think (only 2 years after I initially bought the tickets!). Going to be a very baron year for good comedy gigs, I fear. Might try and get tickets to see Milton Jones but Alisa isn't keen on him, the tickets may have already sold out, and I don't particularly care.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:14:41 by Lard_Suddenly » Logged

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 06, 2011, 04:16:56 »

Here's my Brian Blessed shrine:

All I had was some empty bottles and a korean newpaper so you'll have to use your imaginations
Isn't anyone going to ask me why I have a page from a Korean newspaper?
chinscratch chinscratch why did you have a Korean newspaper anyway?

Mr Cog
Insane Dictator
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 06, 2011, 07:14:48 »

I can't remember, probably because I am awesome.

Actually I just remembered, I bought something and it was in the packaging

Your friendly neighbourhood lunatic
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 06, 2011, 07:15:34 »

THE packaging?

Why, this mystery just keeps getting more and more elaborate.

Mr Cog
Insane Dictator
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 06, 2011, 07:36:11 »

Aye. It was probably made in korea

Your friendly neighbourhood lunatic
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2011, 05:42:45 »

Oops, forgot to update this.

4/5

2. Milton Jones, New Theatre, Oxford, 29/5/11
3.8/5 (not quite as good as Richard Herring, better than Ed Byrne..)
"Wolfgang Mozart" says Wolfgang's friend. "What?" says Mozart. They are then eaten by a gang of wolves.

3. Ed Byrne, New Theatre, Oxford, 7/4/11
3.5/5

Others I've seen:

Stephen K Amos, 22/1/11 - Impressed with how he brought the audience onside. Very good at riffing with the audience and wasn't ever tiring to watch. He's probably one of the best I've seen at engaging with the audience, actually. He had a decent enough routine, although I don't remember any big belly aching laughs, but he was pleasant enough to watch. Better than I was expecting by some distance. I was anticipating a long, boring gig but it wasn't.  upsmiley Worth the punt.

Dylan Moran, 4/5/11 - Very disappointed  Sad Not even a patch on how good he was last year. Probably the first gig where I didn't laugh at all. Chuckled occasionally but no proper laughs. Even the material he re-used from the last time I saw him didn't have the same kind of, er, zing (?) to it (not sure if I  can get away with using the word zing in that context, but I'm gonna anyway. Screw you).

James Acaster, 29/5/11 - Saved what could've been a dreadful show. Sacrificed his routine for the greater good bow Some stupid obnoxious twat of a woman was in the front row during the Milton Jones gig. Milton came out as his own warm up act, dressed up like his own granddad. During this 15-20 minutes, this woman was shouting things out, generally being loud and attention seeking. It almost fucked up his routine. Then James came out as the proper support act, and tore this woman to pieces, much to my delight! He made her play hide and seek, she jumped in the pit, then he ignored her and carried on which bits of his routine he could get out. She shut up after this. What a noble gentleman  clap I quite liked him before this gig, but will look out for any solo gigs in Oxford he may be doing...

Next up: Jason Manford is booked for Friday 15 July. I've had tickets for about 2 years, maybe more, as the gig keeps getting put back  angry but one of our friends birthday is on the 15th and we've been invited to theirs. Tempted to just not bother with Manford any more as I'm a bit annoyed about having to wait so long, and I'm not a massive fan of his anyway. The tickets were an impulse buy when we went to see a different comedian. I'll let you know, of course, what happens.

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2011, 04:26:37 »

Forgot to update this again  doh

4/5

"Wolfgang Mozart" says Wolfgang's friend. "What?" says Mozart. They are then eaten by a gang of wolves.

3.5/5

Others I've seen:

Stephen K Amos, 22/1/11 - Impressed with how he brought the audience onside. Very good at riffing with the audience and wasn't ever tiring to watch. He's probably one of the best I've seen at engaging with the audience, actually. He had a decent enough routine, although I don't remember any big belly aching laughs, but he was pleasant enough to watch. Better than I was expecting by some distance. I was anticipating a long, boring gig but it wasn't.  upsmiley Worth the punt.

James Acaster, 29/5/11 - Saved what could've been a dreadful show. Sacrificed his routine for the greater good bow Some stupid obnoxious twat of a woman was in the front row during the Milton Jones gig. Milton came out as his own warm up act, dressed up like his own granddad. During this 15-20 minutes, this woman was shouting things out, generally being loud and attention seeking. It almost fucked up his routine. Then James came out as the proper support act, and tore this woman to pieces, much to my delight! He made her play hide and seek, she jumped in the pit, then he ignored her and carried on which bits of his routine he could get out. She shut up after this. What a noble gentleman  clap I quite liked him before this gig, but will look out for any solo gigs in Oxford he may be doing...

Zombie Science 1Z, 17/6/11 - A proper (/spoof) lecture on zombies at Oxford Uni.  shades It was partly educational (teaching you about prions and such), but mostly just a laugh. There were perhaps about 25 people in the lecture theatre  unsure Not many people there.. Still, it was fun so cannae complain  upsmiley People from Aberdeen pronounce "cow" funny.

Next up: Jason Manford is booked for Friday 15 July. I've had tickets for about 2 years, maybe more, as the gig keeps getting put back  angry but one of our friends birthday is on the 15th and we've been invited to theirs. Tempted to just not bother with Manford any more as I'm a bit annoyed about having to wait so long, and I'm not a massive fan of his anyway. The tickets were an impulse buy when we went to see a different comedian. I'll let you know, of course, what happens.

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 18, 2011, 01:17:06 »

4/5

3.5/5

Also 3! Jason Manford, New Theatre, Oxford, 15/7/11
3.5/5
Actually, he was better than I was expecting, but probably not the best I've seen this year. Probably on par with Byrne. Some material I recognised already, and he told a joke that I made up!  eyepop The thieving get. His style was, mostly, his usual stuff (observational humour mixed in with anecdotes about his brothers/dad) which is fine, he's quite decent at it... But I swear he was ripping off Stewart Lee/Richard Herring's style for some of the routine  chinscratch It was odd. He did the whole quiet/whispered rambling directionless conversation with himself whilst fiddling with the microphone stand. It was practically identical in style to what I've seen Herring do quite often. It was also odd in that it didn't really fit with the rest of his material, and hardly anybody in the room seemed to get it (ie weren't laughing).

Others I've seen:

Zombie Science 1Z, 17/6/11 - A proper (/spoof) lecture on zombies at Oxford Uni.  shades It was partly educational (teaching you about prions and such), but mostly just a laugh. There were perhaps about 25 people in the lecture theatre  unsure Not many people there.. Still, it was fun so cannae complain  upsmiley People from Aberdeen pronounce "cow" funny.

Next up: Sarah Millican in November is the next comedy gig, but I'm off to see Batman Live in 1 month and 1 day  shades omg

Revolutionary1
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 31, 2011, 10:39:16 »

I went to see Andrew Lawrence and Jason Cook doing Edinburgh preview shows in Newcastle.

Sorted, respect due.
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2011, 13:08:15 »

Don't think I recognise Jason Cook.. But Andrew Lawrence is a weird comedian. Sometimes he seems quite funny, othertimes he just seems a bit shouty. Was he good?

He was very, erm... Odd when he was in Ideal.

Revolutionary1
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2011, 01:16:35 »

He was pretty funny, I was maybe expecting a little bit more though. He was still trying out stuff for his Edinburgh show, so I suppose it was a bit rough in places.

I'd never heard of Jason Cook before either, but he was brilliant.

Sorted, respect due.
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2011, 02:04:01 »

chinscratch

*adds to Ents24 list*

He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2011, 10:10:37 »

the only Fringe preview show I've seen was Daniel Kitson and he spent a good 10-20 minutes afterwards explaining what he was doing with the show, suggesting things he had recently changed and describing some of the props and things he intended to get made. That was cool.

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2011, 03:21:44 »

4/5

3. Batman Live, Birmingham NIA, Friday 19th August
3.7/5
Quick review: visually it was great, but the story was pretty basic. Slightly longer review: I was a bit miffed to start with tbh. We were sitting in the Gotham City Seats. Which means, you're basically sitting below the stage, at the same level as everybody else (as in no seats are higher up than any other) so you spend the whole time looking between the heads everyone infront of you. I'm not even small, I'm 6 foot. Complete rip off. They wouldn't be so bad if they incorporated the fact you were sat so close into the act somehow, but they don't. You just get a crick in your neck for looking up at the stage, you get pissed off that you can't see anything due to the guy in front of you having a mohawk ( doh ) and you pay extra for the privilege. BUT, the show itself is pretty entertaining. The story is much of a muchness, certainly it's good enough to hold a kids attention, but it's just your basic Dick Grayson becomes Robin story. It's all about the spectacle and the weird stunts and stuff, which are pretty awesome in fairness. I enjoyed it once I'd moved seats during the interval. Oh, and the guy who plays Joker is very good although his voice was going when I saw the show in mid-august   he's probably a mute by now.

Others I've seen:

Ed Byrne, New Theatre, Oxford, 7/4/11 - Started the show by coming on, doing a very short, very tame 5 or 10 minute routine and then introduced his support act who was on for about 30 minutes. Was a bit worried he wouldn't be all that great in the second half but actually he was pretty funny. Shame he was probably only on stage for about 50 minutes all night though. I think he was probably funnier than Stephen K Amos overall, so he kind of has to go above him on the list!

Jason Manford, New Theatre, Oxford, 15/7/11 - Actually, he was better than I was expecting, but probably not the best I've seen this year. Probably on par with Byrne. Some material I recognised already, and he told a joke that I made up!  eyepop The thieving get. His style was, mostly, his usual stuff (observational humour mixed in with anecdotes about his brothers/dad) which is fine, he's quite decent at it... But I swear he was ripping off Stewart Lee/Richard Herring's style for some of the routine  chinscratch It was odd. He did the whole quiet/whispered rambling directionless conversation with himself whilst fiddling with the microphone stand. It was practically identical in style to what I've seen Herring do quite often. It was also odd in that it didn't really fit with the rest of his material, and hardly anybody in the room seemed to get it (ie weren't laughing).

Dylan Moran, 4/5/11 - Very disappointed  Sad Not even a patch on how good he was last year. Probably the first gig where I didn't laugh at all. Chuckled occasionally but no proper laughs. Even the material he re-used from the last time I saw him didn't have the same kind of, er, zing (?) to it (not sure if I can get away with using the word zing in that context, but I'm gonna anyway. Screw you).

Zombie Science 1Z, 17/6/11 - A proper (/spoof) lecture on zombies at Oxford Uni.  shades It was partly educational (teaching you about prions and such), but mostly just a laugh. There were perhaps about 25 people in the lecture theatre  unsure Not many people there.. Still, it was fun so cannae complain  upsmiley People from Aberdeen pronounce "cow" funny.

Next up: Sarah Millican in November

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  

Jump to: