Home   Forum   Help Media Centre Search Calendar Shop Gallery Login Register   *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2017, 19:11:22

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[May 16, 2017, 04:18:01]

[May 05, 2017, 09:58:58]

[May 03, 2017, 09:25:15]

[May 02, 2017, 21:36:18]

[April 02, 2017, 03:04:23]
Twitter
Permissions

Last 10 Shouts:
May 16, 2017, 04:32:06
Aye
May 05, 2017, 10:07:12
hello guests! please sign up to lovely. pleeaaase
May 02, 2017, 21:41:53
memebigboy
April 15, 2016, 09:31:08
Who who?
April 10, 2016, 15:44:15
Aye aye captain
March 28, 2016, 13:05:24
Aye
November 17, 2015, 10:58:16
Aye
August 22, 2015, 06:42:55
Giraffe
August 05, 2015, 07:41:57
Last year
August 05, 2015, 07:41:49
Killed me
Members
Total Members: 558
Latest: tms908
Stats
Total Posts: 244569
Total Topics: 5053
Online Today: 21
Online Ever: 137
(July 20, 2014, 20:19:05)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48
  Print  
Author Topic: The Comic/Graphic Novel Thread  (Read 52811 times)
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2009, 02:04:06 »

Seeing as how a fair number of us here read comics/graphic novels, seems quite apt to have a thread about it.

But also, maybe a few people might see this thread and decide to read some who might not have done before...

So, have some pics from my fav comics  grin

And of course

biggrin

I have a dream! And so could you. Just eat loads of cheese before you go to bed. It's easy.
Anubis
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 04:27:19 »

I can highly reccomend Y:The Last Man series which I finished reccently.

Other than that I've been just reading the Buffy and Angel comics as they come out. I've got the second part of Dark Tower and one of the Sandman books to get through at some point.
Tom Dates
National Treasure

Flat Earth Proponent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 04:47:07 »

Ace, don't think I could follow a whole one though.
Though my aunt got me V for Vendetta so I should read that.

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 05:25:36 »

I can highly reccomend Y:The Last Man series which I finished reccently.

I read the first bit of that online. It sets it up nicely. I intend to get it at some point, but I'm currently engrosed in The Walking Dead and Preacher.

V For Vendetta is written by Alan Moore (the guy who did Watchmen) and is supposed to be one of those "must read" comics. Although, I've not read it myself... I quite liked the film.

I have a dream! And so could you. Just eat loads of cheese before you go to bed. It's easy.
Anubis
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 06:44:35 »

V is on my list too nod
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 10:43:54 »

I've got the second volume of Preacher and the first of The Boys to read once I've finished Punisher.

I'm trying to just read one chapter a day though, just so I don't finish it too soon. It's quite an expensive habit I've picked up, buying all these comics all the time  umbrella

I also  stealth acquired  stealth the 3 Batman comics that Kevin Smith wrote.

Anubis
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 10:54:58 »

Yeah it's pricey.  Sad

I might  stealth Acquire stealth those batman comics too.

For batman Arkham Asylum, The Killing Joke and Joker, are pretty good.

Which actually reminds me I've got 'Death in the Family" to read  omg
He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 11:45:24 »

Is the walking dead any good?

I've not read anything from Kirkman I've enjoyed (which to be fair is just his substandard work on the Ultimate Marvel Universe which coincided with the entire thing going to hell in a handbasket so it wasn't all his fault though he did take what I was enjoying as being "my generations" personalised X-men with less of the baggage that comes with having decades of history and being cooler and hipper and make it shit). That said Invincible is always suggested to me by people who read these things so I don't know if I just caught a bad run for him (he was only meant to fill in for a small period of time before Bryan Singer came in and took over the title but that never happened so he was left on it longer than he should've been) or if he's just one of those writers I'm destined never to enjoy.

Mr Cog
Insane Dictator
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 12:28:02 »

Hooray! I have just finished stealth Acquiring stealth watchmen    dance

Your friendly neighbourhood lunatic
He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 12:29:54 »

film or book?

I've read loads of dodgy reviews of the film.

Mr Cog
Insane Dictator
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 12:35:29 »

thing with pictures and writing

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 13:38:45 »

I highly recommend the Watchmen motion comic. I  stealth acquired  stealth it for my ipod, but didn't feel bad about it because I've got it on DVD now. It's great. If you can stomach 1 bloke doing everybodies voice. Including the women. And he has too soft a voice when doing Rorschach. But they put SO much effort into it, it's quite impressive. The music, the animations, the sound effects... quite impressive considering what it is.

Don't listen to the people who are discrediting the film, Schaf. I fucking loved it. I mean, sure, they miss out certain parts that might be considered crucial to the comic, but they make it work in the film.

To me, it had the right blend of fan-boy-ness, and stand-alone-film-ness....... if you understand what I mean...

Mr Cog
Insane Dictator
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 13:41:32 »

To me, it had the right blend of fan-boy-ness, and stand-alone-film-ness....... if you understand what I mean...
"fan-boy-ness" and "right" should never be mentioned in the same sentence

He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 13:48:29 »

See most of the things I've heard are about them misjudging it and falling between two stools with being faithful to the text and making a film, also allot of slating of the direction with it being all about it looking pretty and awesome and less about other important stuff (which I suppose is what you get when after two films the guy is called "legendary"), take the title sequence with the minute men stuff in it, it looks cool and I love it but to anyone not familiar with the premise or history of the universe it is irrelevent and does nothing more than look pretty.

To be honest everything I was worried about seems to have come true, Moore said it was unfilmable and supposedly they've copied huge swathes of dialogue and made massive efforts to recreate specific panels which I can't see helps the flow of the piece which probably is why it lasts so long.

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 13:51:39 »

Oh, and I love The Walking Dead.

It's not groundbreaking, nor does it have anything in it you'd probably consider original for it's genre... except that maybe it's not meant to be scary. It's all about the characters and how they develop throughout the ever increasing pressure they find themselves under. From the main character, Rick, looking for his family, to a group of people all crammed into an RV, driving round looking for shelter, places to stay, and food. To the different personalities of the people who have to come together to just survive and all the fucked up things they do.

It's great if you're into that. The plot is that basically, Rick is a small town cop, who in the opening page is in a confrontation with some randomer. The guy shoots him, he goes into a coma, and when he wakes up in hospital he finds he's been abandoned and that zombies seem to be everywhere. You don't know why, and I've read the first 3 books and still don't know why. But it doesn't seem important because you're so taken with the characters in it and how they grow, twist and turn. You genuinely feel for them when bad stuff happens, you think "you utter utter cunt" when they act like cunts, yet at the same time sympothise with them.

I didn't think I'd like it when I found out it was black and white, but I kinda feel that now, colour would ruin it as odd as that sounds. It adds to the mood of the comic.

The only negative with the book, is it's got about 1% humour in it. It's quite full on with the constant beat down of the characters. It could do with a little more humour just to break it up a little bit more. So you're not constantly on the downer when reading it.

It's great, I recommend it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 14:38:30 by Lard_Suddenly » Logged

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 13:55:17 »

See most of the things I've heard are about them misjudging it and falling between two stools with being faithful to the text and making a film, also allot of slating of the direction with it being all about it looking pretty and awesome and less about other important stuff (which I suppose is what you get when after two films the guy is called "legendary"), take the title sequence with the minute men stuff in it, it looks cool and I love it but to anyone not familiar with the premise or history of the universe it is irrelevent and does nothing more than look pretty.

To be honest everything I was worried about seems to have come true, Moore said it was unfilmable and supposedly they've copied huge swathes of dialogue and made massive efforts to recreate specific panels which I can't see helps the flow of the piece which probably is why it lasts so long.
If people who haven't read the novel go to the cinema wanting a film like Batman, Spiderman, X-Men etc, then they're going to be disappointed. Which I think a lot of people are expecting. It looks Hollywood, but like the novel, it's not an action film. It's a thinker. So to translate it to film well is bound to be quite difficult. But I like it. I'm not overly fussed that there's lots of dialogue and not much action, as that's what the comic is like. But a lot of people who don't like it are calling it pretentious.

As I updated my status on facebook to say that it was a good film and I recommend it, my friend Katie updated her status to say she hated it and people should avoid it.

Some people like it, others don't.

Revolutionary1
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 14:31:32 »

What's that first picture from?

The Long Halloween is the best Batman comic by a mile.

Sorted, respect due.
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 14:33:29 »

Spawn. You can just see the corner of his cloak in the bottom right hand corner.

Revolutionary1
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 14:34:45 »

I think Alan Moore did a story involving Spawn, you might want to have a look for it

Sorted, respect due.
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 14:39:47 »

Yeah the Spawn / Wild Cats thing. I think I've got it somewhere but I've not read it yet.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48
  Print  

Jump to: