Home   Forum   Help Media Centre Search Calendar Shop Gallery Login Register   *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2017, 01:27:39

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
by
[October 20, 2017, 03:12:19]

by
[September 24, 2017, 19:07:49]

[September 02, 2017, 05:11:47]

[July 07, 2017, 13:30:03]

[July 07, 2017, 13:24:22]
Twitter
Permissions

Last 10 Shouts:
August 27, 2017, 23:05:11
Cya! I'm out!
August 27, 2017, 23:04:56
I officially never existed and will never exist in lovely's history again
August 27, 2017, 23:04:26
He has always been and will always be until his retreat from power the successor to king Rasputin I.
August 27, 2017, 23:03:35
By Rasputin I meant this bravely  charismatic  Mr.Cog we all know.
August 27, 2017, 23:01:48
I thereby give all absolute powers to king Rasputin I and declare my non existence in lovely's history.
August 27, 2017, 23:01:48
I thereby give all absolute powers to king Rasputin I and declare my non existence in lovely's history.
August 27, 2017, 23:00:59
I surrender and Abdicate from my position as an unrecognized and imposter king to the throne.
July 30, 2017, 18:36:43
DEFINITIVE NEW NAME CITIZENS!!!!
THE IMPERIAL KINGDOM OF THE FREE LOVELY LOVELAND!!! SHORTENED AS LOVELYLAND!!!
July 20, 2017, 18:51:10
(Freelove just didn't feel right.)
July 20, 2017, 18:50:37
(yeah new name...)
Members
Total Members: 568
Latest: gaga
Stats
Total Posts: 244592
Total Topics: 5053
Online Today: 16
Online Ever: 137
(July 20, 2014, 20:19:05)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48
  Print  
Author Topic: The Comic/Graphic Novel Thread  (Read 54913 times)
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: September 08, 2011, 07:53:23 »

eyepop I had no idea  doh

I remember trying it out with one of the free copies and thinking "it'll do" but you're right, I didn't actually download it... That's a bit shit actually.

Well Forbidden Planet can fuck off. Going to have to use Economics Comics or something else instead and pay with PayPal  stern

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 05:23:39 by Lard_Suddenly » Logged

I have a dream! And so could you. Just eat loads of cheese before you go to bed. It's easy.
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: September 23, 2011, 05:24:44 »

Read Ultimate Thor the other day. Very good  upsmiley Haven't started another graphic novel yet, probably going to read Secret Warriors v5 next, then onto Fantastic Four.

I have a dream! And so could you. Just eat loads of cheese before you go to bed. It's easy.
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 05, 2011, 06:44:55 »

Had to go to London for a training seminar yesterday, and as Animal Man v3 is due back at the library today and I'd not yet read it (  doh ) I took it with me and read it on the train.

The way it started was good, but I was rolling my eyes a little at his pretentious Plato references  undecided He should just stop doing stupid shit like that. Nobody cares. It adds nothing to the story, and it certainly doesn't make the reading of it any better. It's just fucking annoying the show offy twat  steam

The rest of the book, save for the last quarter or so, was very good too. I mean, really great ideas and well told stuff. I thought it was fantastic.

HOWEVER, the end..... Yeah, that was arrogant and pretty smug...

SPOILER: To write yourself into a comic so you can have a conversation with a character? To create yourself in a comic, after saying about how comic characters are immortal as they live on long past their creators; ergo he is now immortal? To have himself as the deus ex machina (hand of GOD)...

Yeah, pretty arrogant I'd say. And pretty smug.  nod

He's a prick, no doubt.

....but he writes some rather exceptional stuff. Occasionally.

He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 05, 2011, 08:34:13 »

no symbols dictating that he is a member of the science guild it seems.

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 06, 2011, 00:14:39 »

I hope Zack Snyder pulls something out of the bag with this movie, as the costumes/stills look.. err... not so great.

He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: October 06, 2011, 02:36:36 »

this is sans post production, iron man and thor both looked rather plasticy before post production computers made the practical costumes for moving in look cool and awesome.

Snyder is a camera jockey and effects wanker, I'm sure it'll look pretty the direction will be dire.

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 06, 2011, 02:49:52 »

Why would the direction be dire? 300, Watchmen and Dawn of the Dead were all very slick films. Can't say I've seen Sucker Punch, nor do I really intend to...

He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: October 06, 2011, 03:21:57 »

stylistically maybe, I dunno, 300 wasn't great and watchmen copied the book frame by frame for much of it showing a disturbing lack of crativity and vision for the director "I just want to copy this" isn't the mark of a great story teller.

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: October 06, 2011, 05:10:43 »

DotD was good story telling, though. And he did something different with somebody elses source material.

Null and void.

Game over, man.

Anubis
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #929 on: October 06, 2011, 12:12:24 »

I'd like to see the full version of sucker punch, apparently all the musical numbers were removed and with them it made more sense dunno if it will ever get a release though  dunno
He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: October 06, 2011, 13:47:47 »

Not seen Dawn of the Dead though doing something "new" with the tired tropes of the zombie genre doesn't strike me as the hardest thing to do in the world.

I have watched two Snyder films, I don't particularly want to see either again ever and it's been years now and I would still avoid it on television.

The flying and fighting scenes will be well choreographed and shot. I'm not holding my breath for the rest of it being any good.

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: October 07, 2011, 01:40:37 »

When you watch as many zombie films as I do, it becomes clearer that people don't generally know how to do something new with the zombie genre tbh. It's all been done before... it's usually just whether or not it's been done before better or worse.

Anyway. It can't be any worse than Superman Returns  erk

Revolutionary1
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: October 08, 2011, 14:28:41 »

Dawn of the Dead is definitely the best Snyder film. He went a bit rubbish after that film.

Sorted, respect due.
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: October 10, 2011, 06:19:52 »

dunno I don't mind his other stuff. That I've seen, anyway.

Finished off Secret Warriors v5, Schaf. Probably the weakest of the lot, for me Sad I liked it, but some of it was just a bit...... off. It just wasn't as sharp as Hickman's other stuff is, nor indeed the rest of the series.

I also read the first two issues of the new Ultimates comics, and the first issue of the new Ultimate X-Men.  upsmiley All pretty good. Second issue of Ultimates was better than the first, first issue of Ultimate X-men was interesting, but mainly because I'm not sure what's going on exactly.

Still waiting on the 2nd printing of the first issue of Animal Man, but here's the rest of the new52 I've actually read, in some sort of order (starting with the best/my favourites of the new52 that I'm definitely going to continue reading:)

Batman - The best art, the best story, the best cover, the most interesting and exciting of the lot by far.
Deathstroke - Surprisingly really good. The way it starts is a bit, er, strange. But it has a good ending and is set up for a really good series.
Aquaman - Also surprisingly good. Wasn't really sure what to expect from it, but I rather enjoyed it and I want to find out what happens to him.
The Flash - Good art, good story..
Superman - felt quite old fashioned, a bit different to the other comics in the reboot. Quite good, though.
Nightwing - Interesting but it kind of glossed over him no longer being Batman  stern needs to go back and develop how he chose to go back to being Nightwing/what happened to Inc. Or maybe it's a reference to Prodigal..? I don't know anymore. I just don't know  Cry
Green Arrow - Yeah, bit lame with the dialogue and that, but I think it's supposed to be. Got some pretty bad criticism, but I liked it. At least Krul was doing something new. Shame he's leaving the title after the 4th issue  Rolleyes
B&R - After the last few issues before the reboot, I was expecting it to be a bit crap. And to be honest, I don't think Damien was quite right. But it was much better than I thought it would be.
Action Comics - Shows a lot of promise, but I didn't think it was fantastic. Of the 3 biggest titles, Bats was best, this was second and JL was third.

Will give a few more issues to:

Teen Titans - Only reading it for Drake. Not sure I'll like the Superboy storyline it's heading for, but we'll see how it goes.
JLI - Pretty bland opener and just absolutely doesn't need Batman in it. Some promising signs in it, like the Chinese and Russian guys, and Booster Gold..
JL - Depends who the writers/artists will be after Johns and Lee. Can't imagine they'll stick with it forever. Maybe, like, 8 or 9 issues. It wasn't the best of first issues, to be honest. Also, why does Wonder Woman have trousers on, on the cover, yet in the comic she wears hot pants? Hmm? Why?  angry
DCU Presents - Just picked it up for something different. It's Deadman for this short story, then depending on who's writing and/or what character they're using, I'll pick it up occasionally.
JL Dark - Bit disappointed. I thought initially it sounded a bit naff, then the more I heard about it, the more it sounded like it would be quite good, but it was actually a bit naff in the end.
Detective Comics - Annoying. I can't even remember what happened in it aside from the last page, which was not as shocking as I think it was supposed to be. Although I do remember thinking it was bollocks. How can Batman not really know much about Joker? Fuck off. Daniels didn't think it through properly, I fear.

Not going to bother with:

Blue Beetle - Just a bit rubbish and a story I've seen done only recently anyway and can't be arsed to read it again.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:22:18 by Lard_Suddenly » Logged

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: October 12, 2011, 00:24:02 »

Read a tpb called Cla$$war last night (well, finished off reading it last night anyway)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cla-war-v-1-Rob-Williams/dp/160743816X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318407321&sr=8-1

It's about some superpowered folk who used to work for the American government, but one of them finds out some stuff about the administration and goes on a bit of a bender. It's quite good, and quite political, but it seems a bit... erm... I dunno. It gives the impression that the guy who wrote it is a bit of an arsehole (Rob Williams - did some work for 2000ad apparently.)

Quite good, overall. Wouldn't say it was the best comic I've ever read, but I think I prefer it to American Way, which is a similar type of story..

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: October 14, 2011, 05:20:39 »

Read Animal Man #1 last night. Definitely goes above Deathstroke on the list, but probably just behind Batman. It's very good, though.

Second issue of Action Comics aint half bad either.

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: October 17, 2011, 07:51:06 »

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: October 18, 2011, 02:50:25 »

Read the second issue of Green Arrow last night. It's odd. I think JT Krul is writing it to be really lame on purpose. It definitely is lame. It just feels like it's intentional...

I also read the second issue of the new Ultimate X-Men recently.  upsmiley I liked it. It does go off in an interesting direction, but I think it could work. Spencer seems like a very typical Marvel writer, though.

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: November 04, 2011, 03:55:32 »

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: November 30, 2011, 07:47:10 »

The new Planet of the Apes mini-series is good  upsmiley

Read Ash Saves Obama which is as utterly ridiculous as you'd expect it to be. Obama visits a comic book convention that Ash (from Evil Dead series) is working at. The deadites attack and Ash saves the day with the help of Obama...

..yeah.

Realised I never read the third volume of Red Robin despite reading the rest of the series in monthlies, so, read that. It's amazing. Still so gutted the reboot came when it did, and that RR wasn't given a fair chance. It's such a good series. Sad So much potential.

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48
  Print  

Jump to: