Home   Forum   Help Media Centre Search Calendar Shop Gallery Login Register   *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2017, 01:10:06

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
by
[October 20, 2017, 03:12:19]

by
[September 24, 2017, 19:07:49]

[September 02, 2017, 05:11:47]

[July 07, 2017, 13:30:03]

[July 07, 2017, 13:24:22]
Twitter
Permissions

Last 10 Shouts:
August 27, 2017, 23:05:11
Cya! I'm out!
August 27, 2017, 23:04:56
I officially never existed and will never exist in lovely's history again
August 27, 2017, 23:04:26
He has always been and will always be until his retreat from power the successor to king Rasputin I.
August 27, 2017, 23:03:35
By Rasputin I meant this bravely  charismatic  Mr.Cog we all know.
August 27, 2017, 23:01:48
I thereby give all absolute powers to king Rasputin I and declare my non existence in lovely's history.
August 27, 2017, 23:01:48
I thereby give all absolute powers to king Rasputin I and declare my non existence in lovely's history.
August 27, 2017, 23:00:59
I surrender and Abdicate from my position as an unrecognized and imposter king to the throne.
July 30, 2017, 18:36:43
DEFINITIVE NEW NAME CITIZENS!!!!
THE IMPERIAL KINGDOM OF THE FREE LOVELY LOVELAND!!! SHORTENED AS LOVELYLAND!!!
July 20, 2017, 18:51:10
(Freelove just didn't feel right.)
July 20, 2017, 18:50:37
(yeah new name...)
Members
Total Members: 568
Latest: gaga
Stats
Total Posts: 244592
Total Topics: 5053
Online Today: 16
Online Ever: 137
(July 20, 2014, 20:19:05)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hung Parliament - any thoughts?  (Read 3146 times)
Twist
Not the
Prime Minister
National Treasure

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2010, 08:26:52 »

An interesting linky: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8660699.stm
He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 10:07:14 »

That chart is wrong, I'll make one without the glaring error I've noticed straight off (and any later ones) later maybe.

Essentially it doesn't matter how near to 326 a party is, if Labour has the most seats they get first dibs on forming minority government because they're the current government.  You're either a majority government or we have fudging about to do. Realistically if Labour don't win the most seats the Tories as they've already said will seek to be a minority government if their draft queens speech can't get past the other parties then it'll likely be a case of Lib-Lab pact or another election, another election would unsettle the markets and cause turmoil we need to have at least 6 months of stuff happening to keep the boat steady.

If a coalition has to be made I can see Brown sacrificing himself to insure a Labour Prime Minister stays in power. I can also see Vince being made Chancellor over Darling though Darling has done a fantastic job so that may not happen as super Vince has kinda drifted away now. Essentially Clegg and Cable will get proper ministerial jobs, with lesser Lib dems getting smaller positions. How it works will be interesting. I can see Milliband becoming PM and Clegg becoming foreign secretary (he is quite foreign as the Daily Mail points out could be good) Cable will either replace Darling or Mandleson.

I think I'd rather Milliband became PM than Clegg or Johnson (and especially Cameron) as after Brown he's someone who has a bit of the geek about him that he knows what he's on about and how could any one whose parents were Marxist academics be that bad?

von Weizsäcker
Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 11:14:40 »

HELLO TO YOU MY FINE ENGLISH CHUMS!
Twist
Not the
Prime Minister
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 13:12:51 »

ah, thanks for that schaf, I didn't know that. I like the idea of a successful coalition government, but then I always hate it if a large number of people (or the media) claim that something will be a disaster and a failure based on the "fact" that our way of democracy doesn't like hung parliaments and the economy won't like it either etc etc maybe it comes from my constant rooting for the underdog... which is also why it annoys me when they predict what will happen in constituency seats based on the last elections results, because if that was really reliable then the results would never change and we may aswell leave a computer to decide the results instead.

Thanks for your contribution too von undecided
He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 13:45:18 »

the only real problem with coalitions is that because they have to negotiate between two parties the end policies aren't what the manifestos say which is what people voted for. Governments never deliver the manifesto pledges anyway so it's no different.

The markets not liking indecisive governance is an issue but isn't a deal breaker any trouble will be temporary so long as the coallition government didn't dither, minority government would be far worse.

Evil Ted
Pretentious Fag
Model Citizen

Holier Than Thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 16:21:29 »

A hung parliament (aka balanced parliament) would be the best thing for this country.

>:3
He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 01:08:47 »

but for why?

CitizenLove
Rusty Sawmill
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 13:10:43 »

Well coalitions require cooperation so moar input etc. But then everything takes ages to get done like over here where its always coalitions.
Twist
Not the
Prime Minister
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 07:23:20 »

depends on who is cooperating and what deals they've made.... i'll be annoyed if the lib dems do a deal with the conservatives as i wanted anyone but the conservatives to gain power, but the lib dems and labour can't form a majority between them due to the libdems disappointing results.
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 07:27:43 »

depends on who is cooperating and what deals they've made.... i'll be annoyed if the lib dems do a deal with the conservatives as i wanted anyone but the conservatives to gain power, but the lib dems and labour can't form a majority between them due to the libdems disappointing results.
+ SNP + PC wouldn't even do it.

It's going to be Libs and Tories isn't it? Sad

I have a dream! And so could you. Just eat loads of cheese before you go to bed. It's easy.
Twist
Not the
Prime Minister
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 07:54:22 »

possibly, depends on if clegg is offered a good enough deal from cameron, really clegg should be able to make all the demands he wants of cameron and shouldn't get a rubbish deal, but although the 2 leaders are similar (in accent, appearance and background) I don't really believe their principles and policies can be easily meshed together.  Also it seems a tad hypocritical that all these men were slagging each other off for ages and now suddenly they've got to be best friends and work together. If no deal is made then there could be a minority government, but it probably wouldn't last long and we'd end up voting again.
He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 13:17:53 »

you don't need to be an over all majority, you can form a minority coallition government, it would be great.

Mr Cog
Insane Dictator
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 13:25:47 »

you can but it would be shit

Your friendly neighbourhood lunatic
Mr Cog
Insane Dictator
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 13:29:54 »

Gordon Brown just seems to be sitting in a corner by himself hoping someone will come and sit with him

He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 13:38:37 »

I dunno, the tyranical nature of majorities is worse. If it fails it'd be because the conservatives are liars and took their interests before the countries.

Evil Ted
Pretentious Fag
Model Citizen

Holier Than Thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 20:09:54 »

Rainbow coalition of the political left would be ideal, but that would include the nationalist parties with their own demands.

On the other hand, the Conservatives are the most disparate political party in Westminster to the Liberal Democrats.

Like it or not, the politicians will have to work together until they actually agree with each other before they can govern. No one party can form a government on their own, or even coalign with their closest allies and rule (Conservatives + DUP, or Labour + LibDems).

This is the best possible result there could have been.

>:3
He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 01:48:20 »

The SNP can't make too many demands their political capital is spent, they gained no ground, they need to win over the people by acting in a manner that gives people confidence in their abilities.

Plaid's demands aren't all that as Plaid doesn't want "independence" first and foremost just increased devoloution.

I'm fine with minority governments we have got some progressive Tories there who can be won over.

Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 03:30:06 »

You say Plaid or PC too, eh? I can't spell Cymrew either.

I have a dream! And so could you. Just eat loads of cheese before you go to bed. It's easy.
Mr Cog
Insane Dictator
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 04:14:38 »

I dunno, the tyranical nature of majorities is worse. If it fails it'd be because the conservatives are liars and took their interests before the countries.
Minority governments can work, and coalition governments can work. A minority coalition might work at first, but just has too many potential problems and wouldn't last long.

Twist
Not the
Prime Minister
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 08:49:01 »

Plaid's demands aren't all that as Plaid doesn't want "independence" first and foremost just increased devoloution.

aka. more money for wales, and why not now I'm living here Smiley

It's Cymru btw Lars, u makes a sort of i sound in welsh
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: