Home   Forum   Help Media Centre Search Calendar Shop Gallery Login Register   *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2017, 20:58:40

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
by gaga
[October 11, 2017, 09:22:39]

by
[September 24, 2017, 19:07:49]

[September 02, 2017, 05:11:47]

[July 07, 2017, 13:30:03]

[July 07, 2017, 13:24:22]
Twitter
Permissions

Last 10 Shouts:
August 27, 2017, 23:05:11
Cya! I'm out!
August 27, 2017, 23:04:56
I officially never existed and will never exist in lovely's history again
August 27, 2017, 23:04:26
He has always been and will always be until his retreat from power the successor to king Rasputin I.
August 27, 2017, 23:03:35
By Rasputin I meant this bravely  charismatic  Mr.Cog we all know.
August 27, 2017, 23:01:48
I thereby give all absolute powers to king Rasputin I and declare my non existence in lovely's history.
August 27, 2017, 23:01:48
I thereby give all absolute powers to king Rasputin I and declare my non existence in lovely's history.
August 27, 2017, 23:00:59
I surrender and Abdicate from my position as an unrecognized and imposter king to the throne.
July 30, 2017, 18:36:43
DEFINITIVE NEW NAME CITIZENS!!!!
THE IMPERIAL KINGDOM OF THE FREE LOVELY LOVELAND!!! SHORTENED AS LOVELYLAND!!!
July 20, 2017, 18:51:10
(Freelove just didn't feel right.)
July 20, 2017, 18:50:37
(yeah new name...)
Members
Total Members: 568
Latest: gaga
Stats
Total Posts: 244591
Total Topics: 5053
Online Today: 19
Online Ever: 137
(July 20, 2014, 20:19:05)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19
Poll
Question: How should I vote?  (Voting closed: March 03, 2011, 10:09:05)
Yes - 1 (20%)
No - 2 (40%)
Stay at home - 0 (0%)
Spoil your ballot - 2 (40%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Welsh Referendum on Thursday (03/03/11)  (Read 1760 times)
Twist
Not the
Prime Minister
National Treasure

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:09:05 »

The question is basically as follows:

The National Assembly for Wales - what happens at the moment
The assembly has powers to make laws on 20 subject areas, such as agriculture, education, the environment, health, housing, local government.
In each subject area, the assembly can make laws on some matters, but not others. To make laws on any of these other matters, the assembly must ask the UK Parliament for its agreement. The UK Parliament then decides each time whether or not the assembly can make these laws.
The assembly cannot make laws on subject areas such as defence, tax or welfare benefits, whatever the result of this vote.
If most voters vote 'yes' - the Assembly will be able to make laws on all matters in the 20 subject areas it has powers for, without needing the UK Parliament's agreement.
If most voters vote 'no' - what happens at the moment will continue.
Do you want the assembly now to be able to make laws on all matters in the 20 subject areas it has powers for?

Yes campaign: http://www.truewales.org.uk/en/home.html

No campaign: http://www.truewales.org.uk/en/home.html
Forever A Shorty
Hermaphrodite
King
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:33:39 »

Vote no whilst burning the Welsh flag and stamping on leeks and eating daffodils.
Revolutionary1
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 12:20:06 »

I'm all for Welsh devolution as long as their assembly budget is paid for by Welsh taxes only.

Sorted, respect due.
Twist
Not the
Prime Minister
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:54:22 »

I'm not sure where the assembly budget comes from undecided I doubt it's welsh taxes only as (not including council tax) it all goes to the same place for anywhere in the uk, unless the amount is equal to or less than the amount hm revenues receives from wales only...
stanmore
Model Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 13:30:53 »

Well, if I lived there, I'd vote "yes" as I think it would give more weight to my vote. Though, as I don't live there, vote "no" because I want Wales to continue to be shat on by Westminster.

Rev, I'm pretty certain the pot from Westminster will be the same whatever the outcome - it's just the Taffs (and Twist*) will be able to divide it how they choose.

*or is she a Taff?
Revolutionary1
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 14:14:54 »

The taxes will go to the same place (where I pretend to work) I'm just a bit suspicious of how the money gets allocated. If a region goes down the devolution process, does it get more money than an equivalent English region? How else can Scotland afford all the university grants and paid prescriptions and all that?

Sorted, respect due.
Mr Cog
Insane Dictator
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 14:28:36 »

Allocation of money to devolved regions is a very contentious issue that has seen many arguments.

Basically though, in terms of government budget per head, scotland is better than England. And it is argued that scotland wouldn't be able to sustain itself as a country if it relied on tax solely from its' own citizens.

Your friendly neighbourhood lunatic
He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 14:58:45 »

I'm not sure where the assembly budget comes from undecided I doubt it's welsh taxes only as (not including council tax) it all goes to the same place for anywhere in the uk, unless the amount is equal to or less than the amount hm revenues receives from wales only...

there is a grant from the UK government to subsidise the Welsh, only the Scots have a devolved institution with tax powers.

Normally I'd say no the extra power is somewhat inconsequential and of no real gain, but considering the cunts in charge of the main government as much as you can do to escape their clutches is going to be helpful.

Twist
Not the
Prime Minister
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 10:03:03 »

i'm not a taff, but I  live and work in wales so I get the nice welsh benefits of free prescriptions and getting to vote in the welsh assembly elections and ..... er..... do bilingual road signs count as a benefit?

I'm still confused about what I should vote, no is winning at the moment (in this poll and in my mind). I figure if I can't say yes for sure then I can vote no and they can always have another referendum if they don't get the yes result they want (like in Ireland over some such issue that went to many referendums until the people said yes which was a while ago and I've now forgot what it was all about). The yes is sort of welsh nationalism and patriotism on the one side (which doesn't really bother me, I quite like all the lil quirks of welsh culture - not that it's that different from British culture, and I also like learning the welsh language and think it would be sad if it was lost) and on the other side there's the argument that it'll speed up law making in wales. I'm a bit suspicious that all the ams (of every party) are on the yes campaign side though. The no side argument is also made up of a few different arguments mixed together, mainly: it's a chance to tell the welsh assembly that it's rubbish and people have changed their mind about devolution, wales was promised how devolution would be good for it's economy, education etc when it now qualifies for european funding for the poorest regions of europe, it's the poorest part of the uk (below ni) and has a high unemployment rate compared with the rest of the uk. Also it's doing pretty poorly in international education tables coming bottom out of 64 developed countries. All not a great argument for the benefits of devolution, but i guess the assembly would argue they haven't had enough time yet, especially what with having to ask the uk parliament for permission. Then there's also the argument that it's the slippery slope towards proper independence which is a bit frightening (most people would probably say they wanted it, but wouldn't actually mean it). And there's the argument that the ams are power grabbing (like all politicians really...) and that at least under the current system the laws undergo the scrutiny of a second body (ie. the uk parliament) whereas after the change the assembly could put through laws without them being debated by a second group, which even parliament don't have due to the two houses.... not that I agree with who is in the house of lords let alone that they should have a say on anything... but that's a whole different thing.... And what makes it worse is that neither the yes nor no campaigns have enough funding to properly publicize their arguments and it's not really mentioned in the news media so I'm pretty clueless!
He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 11:36:50 »

speeding things up may be useful but then again typically the Welsh Assembally only opts out of English law pretty much. The Welsh Assembally isn't all that, it doesn't do allot and as soon as you get them doing a tiny bit more there is the risk that the AMs will just try to increase their own pay and what not (also do you trust an AM to be competent enough to be doing a proper job?).

Seriously the only thing I think is useful is that it could safeguard Wales from some of the actions of the coalition cunts but to be honest it isn't a drastic change from what it is today, no one is likely to notice.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: