Home   Forum   Help Media Centre Search Calendar Shop Gallery Login Register   *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2017, 03:55:40

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
[May 16, 2017, 04:18:01]

[May 05, 2017, 09:58:58]

[May 03, 2017, 09:25:15]

[May 02, 2017, 21:36:18]

[April 02, 2017, 03:04:23]
Twitter
Permissions

Last 10 Shouts:
May 16, 2017, 04:32:06
Aye
May 05, 2017, 10:07:12
hello guests! please sign up to lovely. pleeaaase
May 02, 2017, 21:41:53
memebigboy
April 15, 2016, 09:31:08
Who who?
April 10, 2016, 15:44:15
Aye aye captain
March 28, 2016, 13:05:24
Aye
November 17, 2015, 10:58:16
Aye
August 22, 2015, 06:42:55
Giraffe
August 05, 2015, 07:41:57
Last year
August 05, 2015, 07:41:49
Killed me
Members
Total Members: 558
Latest: tms908
Stats
Total Posts: 244569
Total Topics: 5053
Online Today: 15
Online Ever: 137
(July 20, 2014, 20:19:05)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 18
Total: 18
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: A Flying Visit  (Read 5731 times)
Monty
Citizen

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2011, 09:48:50 »

Hello!

I'm sure some of you don't remember me and I'm sure the ones who do will remember me as somewhat of a bastard. Well not a complete bastard but a partial one.

Anyway, its only a flying visit back to Lovelycountry away from micronational lovely. It unfortunately died but has become a protected state under the Kingdom of Victoria, a nation set up by our own ex-Foreign Secretary Kieran Collins. Its not pointless backstory to why I'm here though.

An old Lovely, and eventually someone who seems to have grown to hate us, has come back (Marc Evans? I couldnt remember him either) to Victoria and has produced the following email:

Lee Phillips <lee@leafstorm.com>

Dear Marc

It has come to our attention that you are incorporating the name of
Lovely and affiliated designs that we created for the production of
the BBC television series How to Start Your Own Country into a new
micronation / website.

We would like to remind you that the name Lovely and affiliated
designs used in the series are the intellectual property of leafstorm,
and may not be reproduced without our express permission.

We therefore kindly request that you cease using the name and
incorpoating any of our designs and intellectual properties on your
new site.

Failure to adhere to this request will form a breach of copyright and
you may be liable to prosecution.

I thank you in advance for your cooperation, and wish you well with
your project.

Yours sincerely,

Lee Phillips
Series Producer / Director
How to Start Your Own Country

-----------------------------

leafstorm
6 Northfields Prospect
Putney Bridge Road
London
SW18 1PE

Now I was wondering whether you've got a similar email as a follow on from Lovely? We wonder why he got one because he's not in charge of the site, Kieran is. Added to that Kieran has gone AWOL with personal issues and we dont know why Marc was contacted and not me or Guy or the leader of leader of Victoria, their Queen Victoria (originally titled eh?).

Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated chaps,

My best wishes,

Monty
Mr Cog
Insane Dictator
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 10:14:01 »

Well our google ranking is pretty shite, and there are very few links to here from anywhere. Leafstorm probably stumbled across you by accident or from a related site.

We also explicitly mention leafstorm and the program on our front page, which might have gave them reason to leave us be.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:17:48 by Mr Cogs face » Logged

Your friendly neighbourhood lunatic
Monty
Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:28:10 »

You were at 4 on my google search when I tried to find you guys again!

I dont think a response straight away will be good if it then draws attention to you. The website can't be changed without Kieran and he's nowhere to be found. I'm also curious as to why the legal dept. of Leafstorm didnt handle it and why it was sent oddly on a Saturday by all accounts. Oh well.

How are you guys getting on anyhow?
Mr Cog
Insane Dictator
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 10:34:26 »

Not too bad, except that I've just been talking to myself for almost two years.

Monty
Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 10:39:18 »

Hardly the most sane of things to do?
Mr Cog
Insane Dictator
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 11:13:59 »

That's what they said, but I proved them wrong.

Revolutionary1
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 12:15:01 »

It could be a fake email. Or maybe Leafstorm are OK with this site since it's basically following the same template they set up, but don't want another micronation claiming to own Lovely?

Sorted, respect due.
Lard_Suddenly
Aware Of Vacuity
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 12:24:30 »

Delete thread delete thread delete thread

There can be no evidence we were aware that there was even the possibility we could be in breach of copyright...

I have a dream! And so could you. Just eat loads of cheese before you go to bed. It's easy.
Monty
Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 12:47:06 »

It could be a fake email. Or maybe Leafstorm are OK with this site since it's basically following the same template they set up, but don't want another micronation claiming to own Lovely?

Well yeah it can go either way at the moment. I've trawled the site and its simply not adding up. There's no overt reference or reproduction to the Lovely images. I could find only one minute reference and its hard to spot at first glance. Then there's the question of why address it to the person who received it....there's no reference to him on the internet site on which the offending image(s) are supposed to be. He is only made reference on the older site which has no mention of Lovely as there was no relationship (bar the fact Kieran was in charge).
He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 13:37:03 »

We have not had any information from Leafstorm about any of this. I did make it clear and linked to Leafstorm and the BBC as appropriate at bits of this site in conception to aid in this also I emailed them when I made this place and invited them to take issue with it.

Sorry I can't be more help/

Sub in a Hat
Wrapped in Foil
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 13:47:12 »

This all seems rather bizarre. As has been said, this site probably gets away with it by crediting the Beeb and Leafstorm and not claiming ownership of copyright etc, but then it doesn't sound like you've done that either. Hmmm.

Hullo, at any rate.

Sort of Ernest Hemingway meets Boris Johnson.

"You should have asked for twelve inches of his finest sub of the day at the time, no point regretting not having some sublove now." Lady Reblet.

</img>

The superfluous image tag is staying. It is staying because I like it.
He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 14:05:42 »

that said we don't have the "express permission" of Leafstorm. I did just go and check all the webmail inboxes in case any addresses associated with this place aren't forwarding to my main inbox (they all are) no word from them at all.

I really don't know what is going on. If Marc isn't running the site they're complaining about he should just say "nothing to do with me" and if it is unclear what is being viewed as an improper use of IP clarification should be sought.

Anubis
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 14:54:31 »

How Bizarre  chinscratch chinscratch
easy tiger
special needs
janitorial staff
National Treasure

uloveitwheniflexlikethat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 16:06:13 »

Blame Saz.
This is now Lovely anyhow.
Anywhere else calling themselves Lovely is fake.
We have the king.
Long live King Ray.
Oh and fuck em anyway, bunch of tossers.

I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting.
Monty
Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 00:23:20 »

It appears to be a fake now. Or that's the general consensus. I wouldn't worry about this if I was you now. Apologies if it has got you worried.
Revolutionary1
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 01:29:30 »

Ah well. Have you got a link to these micronational sites? I had no idea they existed

Sorted, respect due.
Monty
Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 02:53:00 »

All still at www.micras.org.

I'm still investigating the email though. There are number of questions which cannot really be explained too well:

1. Why, in threatening legal action, have leafstorm not used their own legal department or a firm of solicitors?

2. Why was an email sent by a TV producer in official capacity done so at 7:30 on a Saturday night?

3. Is it coincedental that this has happened the day after Marc Evan's return?

I hope its not too much to ask and I'm willing to go via private message so its not all laid bare but have you had dealings with Lee Phillips before? Is it his email address so far as you're aware? '?' would it be possible to see copies of the correspondence? You can PM me to discuss it if you want and I fully accept you've got the right to simply say no! It just strikes me as odd that if they're concerned about Lovely IP rights they wouldnt speak to the people who last thing they knew where the ones using them (you chaps). As I said its probably a fake but after I get the answer on the correspondence and copies of it I would suggest deleting the thread. Plausible deniability and all that.

Monty.
He loves the cock...
Manager
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 03:35:39 »

Lee Phillips was the producer, leafstorm.com is where the emails come from (I never had an email from Lee however, most of my actions were to a specific moderator based Leafstorm account.

Leafstorm don't strike me as large enough to have an in house legal team and solicitors charge money for that sort of action. Presumably the email is done as a cost saving measure, the producer may only have come across the site without looking at it I don't know what reasoning may be had.

I don't think it is necessarily smart to ignore it because of such irregularities, email accounts allow stuff to happen at all sorts of times and do TV producers stick to normal working hours (depends on what they're producing surely). It could be coincidental for Marc Evans return. I'd suggest either contacting leafstorm via other means (they have contact details on their site) or returning Lee's message for further elaboration.

Revolutionary1
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 13:33:21 »

It would be interesting to see who really owns the copyright on Lovely. I would've assumed that Rasputin Wallace did, if anybody did.

Sorted, respect due.
Mr Cog
Insane Dictator
janitorial staff
National Treasure

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 13:40:38 »

Nope, it would either be the BBC or leafstorm. The concept may have been though up by Rasputin, but it would be very unusual for a company to put effort and money into a project without demanding they get the rights to it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: