Database migration is extremely simple, supposing the database is applied as storage. It “only” needs transferring your data from one database to another one. Nevertheless, even this could be a complicated job. The primary issues you can encounter include:
- Unmatched data types (numbers, dates, etc) or different implementation of user-defined types
- Missing built-in functions, operators or another kind of important features in the destination database management system
- Different character sets (encoding) of rules of escaping special symbols in queries
Various data types can be treated easily by approximating the nearest type from the target database to keep up data integrity. When a source database supports advanced data formats (e.g. sub-record), however the target database doesn’t, amending the applications with the database is important. Likewise, in the event the source database supports different encoding in every column for a specific table yet the target database doesn’t, the programs using the database must be thoroughly evaluated.
Any time a database is employed not just for as data storage, as well as to represent business logic as stored procedures and triggers, close attention has to be paid when conducting a feasibility study in the database migration to focus on the quality of results. Even again, when the target database doesn’t support any of the features, changes ought to be applied by applications or by middleware software.
This technique is hardly automated since it needs semantic analysis and deep reverse engineering. One approach to improve such duties is to apply any of outsource database migration services. One of these services is provided by Intelligent Converters, a firm devoted to database migration and synchronization since 2001.
Specialists of Intelligent Converters have extensive skills in database migration and synchronization that allows their customers to get high quality service at very affordable price. The company offers services and products for numerous customers worldwide including some of the world’s largest companies and institutions as well as small startups and individuals.
This is just a few of database migration projects carried out by Intelligent Converters:
- Extract data form corrupted Oracle dump file into CSV format. The uniqueness of this project is direct manipulations with the files having proprietary format that is not described in any public sources. Due to special tools specialists of Intelligent Converters were able to extract all data from Oracle parallel export (EXPDP) files that cannot be processed by the corresponding Oracle tools.
- Design and implementation of heterogeneous table structure representation in accordance with Microsoft SQL DACPAC format with export/import from/to preferred DBMS.
- Migration of huge scale enterprise databases with a large number of views, triggers, stored procedures and functions using branded software to automate most important parts of the job and validate results.
For more information on database migration service offered by Intelligent Converters visit https://www.convert-in.com/.